Q.How long does it take for the council to approve building works?

An uncertified permit application can take up to 25 days compared to a legally enforced 10 days for a privately certified application.

Q. How does Online Budget Approvals charge for amendments?

All amendments generated by the permit authority, the builder or by Online Budget Approvals will be assessed and approved without any charge. Any amendments presented as an owner change of mind will be assessed for a nominal fee of $50 to reassess the application and produce the new Certificate of Design Compliance.

Q. Why is Online Budget Approvals low-cost?

Online Budget Approvals recognises that large project home builders dedicate personnel and time to ensuring their application for Certificate of Design Assessments are complete and compliant where possible.  Given the quality in the repeat work business of preparing for a building permit and by using the dedicated web-site online application form, Online Budget Approvals are in a position to remove the middle man from the process by sending your complete application to a qualified and experienced building surveyor for assessment. This process reduces the time and cost of the Certificate of Design Assessment without removing the quality.

Q. What is the difference between Town Planning Approval and a Building Permit?

The Building Permit process regulates the construction and alteration of buildings by assessing proposed buildings and structures and alteration work against the requirements of the Building Code of Australia (BCA). A building permit is required before any building work can be carried out. A registered building surveyor is engaged by the applicant to certify compliance to the building standards by issuing a certificate of design compliance (CDC).

The Planning Approval (also referred to as Development Approval/DA) process regulates the use and development of land by assessing proposals against Council\'s planning schemes and the State\'s planning legislation.

The planning approval process focuses particularly on the impact of a proposal on the site and neighbouring land.

It addresses the following sorts of issues:
  • Does it comply with planning scheme requirements?
  • Will it cause overshadowing or loss of privacy to neighbours?
  • Is it located an appropriate distance from boundaries?
  • Is the scale and size appropriate for the area?
  • Is there adequate car parking?
  • Does it create any access or traffic safety issues?
  • Are the hours of operation appropriate for the area?
  • Are there any environmental constraints that need to be considered?
Many Perth Councils are able to grant Planning Approval as part of issuing a Building Permit, however you should always check with your Local Council before preparing working drawings as this generally only for proposals that are fully compliant with planning requirements. If you are unsure or not confident your application complies with planning requirements, seek professional advice prior to submitting for approval.

Q. When do I need a bushfire assessment?

If the site you are planning to build on has been designated 'bushfire prone', then an assessment will need to be performed to determine the construction methods to be used to comply with AS3959. The BAL Assessment can be accurately completed once the location of the building is shown on the siteplan.

Q.What is Residential Density or an R-Code?

Residential density is identified by a series of numbers within the Residential zone on a Council\'s Town Planning Scheme map.

These numbers are derived from a State Government document called the \"Residential Design Codes of Western Australia\", or the R-Codes for short. Please find the link to the document below which explains in general terms what can be done on each zoning.

Note: Individual Councils are able to alter many aspects of the R-Codes in Local Planning Policies with the exception of those relating to minimum and average lot sizes for subdivision purposes.

Q. When do I need a work affecting other land form?

An owner, or a builder on behalf of an owner, must get consent from the owner of adjoining land before doing anything that may affect the land (or that might affect the neighbour). If there is likelihood that the building work may require access to a neighbour's land, or if there may be a need to remove a fence or any other structure, owners should be advised and their consent obtained as early as possible.
If consent cannot be obtained, a court order can be applied for.

Work that requires consent includes work that:

·         Encroaches into other land (ref: Building Act 2011, section 76);
·         Adversely affects other land (ref: Building Act 2011, section 77);
·         Requires temporary or permanent protection structures to be placed on other land (ref: Building Act 2011, section 78);
·         Affects the structural, waterproofing, or noise insulation capacity of a party wall, substantial dividing fence or retaining wall (ref: Building Act 2011, section 79);
·         Involves the removal of dividing fences (ref: Building Act 2011, section 80); or
·         Requires access to other land for construction purposes (ref: Building Act 2011, section 81).

A copy of the signed BA20 or BA20A Form, or a copy of a court order from a Magistrate should accompany any building or demolition permit application where the work being proposed will adversely affect or encroach on any adjoining land.

Q. Do you specialise in Unapproved Works?

No. Currently we are focusing on one thing and we do that well.

Q. Do you specialise in R-Code Checks?

Yes, but we do not check against local planning policy.

Q. Do you investigate against DAP 18?

Yes, if it is provided.

Q. What documents do I need?

  • Site Survey
  • Site Classification Report
  • Final Working Drawings
  • Specifications Addenda
  • Engineer's Details
  • Termite Protection Details
  • Energy Assessment
  • Relevant Architectural Details